Liv Engage - Service Charges

My Questions Answered

Service Charges


How can I pay my bill?

You can pay your bill on the portal by clicking “Payments” on the top right-hand side of the home screen on the portal.

Alternatively, you can pay by bank transfer or over the phone by calling our Credit Control team on 0113 487 8890.

If you do wish to pay by bank transfer, we recommend setting up a standing order to ensure your payments are made on time. Bank details can be found on your service charge demand. Please ensure you always quote your unique tenancy reference number.

How will I receive my bill?

As part of our ESG policy (Environmental, Social, and Corporate Governance) we prefer to issue documents digitally to reduce the use of paper. However, if you wish to receive your documents by post, please contact the office on 0113 244 2444.

What is a budget?

A budget is our best estimate of the spend required to maintain the communal areas at your development for the service charge year ahead, which runs over a 12-month period.

Your lease specifies an apportionment which is the contribution you are legally obligated to pay toward the service charge spend.

We will bill you for your share of the service charge budget by taking your apportionment and calculating it as a proportion of the service charge budget.

What are Service Charge Accounts?

At the end of the service charge year, we compare the actual spend with the budgeted spend and provide a set of financial accounts which represent the financial position at the end of the service charge year. There will usually be an overspend or an underspend at the year end, which will result in us applying a balancing adjustment to your account.

What is a balancing adjustment?

A balancing adjustment is an adjustment made to make up for any difference between the budgeted amount (the amount charged to you) and the actual amount spent on your development in the year.

The amount of the adjustment is always specified in the service charge accounts, and the reason for the adjustment will be explained further in your Annual Adjustment Letter, which is issued to you a week prior to the balancing adjustment demand.

The adjustment can come in the form of either a credit or a charge depending on whether there is an over/undercharge on your account at year end.

Where allowed, it can also be charged or credited to the Sinking Fund depending on what is decided by your Property Manager and Director.

What is a Sinking Fund?

It is a good idea to keep savings for that unexpected expenditure and the proverbial ‘rainy day’. Industry guidelines stipulate that it’s best practice for each development to have its own reserve fund, and your legal documents set out whether we can collect these at your development – we only do this where it is allowed.
The reserve funds are collected to help contribute toward the cost of nonannual expenditure like major repairs, external and internal decorations (but not limited to those).
In the annual budget, we set out how much is being collected in that year, and the money accumulates over time. The annual accounts contain a statement of the overall amount for your development. The money is held in the same way as other service charge funds in a designated client bank account with interest added to the reserve fund. The money can only be spent on your development.

What is Ground Rent?

If you live in a leasehold property, ground rent is the money you pay to your landlord for the land on which your property is built. Either we will collect this money on the landlord’s behalf or – more commonly – the landlord will invoice you directly.

What are Management Fees?

Management fees are paid to your Managing Agent to covers the costs of the wide range of activities that we carry out to efficiently manage your development. This includes everything from financial and management tasks, regular communication with all customers and arranging tenders for maintenance, repair work, site inspections and ensuring maintenance contracts are in place.
We welcome customer feedback at any time. Feedback helps us understand not only how well we are doing, but also where we may need to make further improvements to our service.
Whilst we always strive for excellence, we are conscious that sometimes things can go wrong, or you may feel that we have not met your needs fully or in the way that you would have expected. In these circumstances, please contact your property manager or centralised team for assistance.

What is the credit control procedure?

Non-payment of charges can have a serious impact on the running of your development, so it is important that payment is made on time.

If a balance is 14 days overdue, the leaseholder will be sent a first reminder letter requesting that payment is made.

If a balance is 21 days overdue, a second reminder letter will be sent with a £39 administration fee applied to the account.

If a balance becomes 28 days overdue, we will write to you a final time. If after a further 7 days payment has not been received, the account will be passed to Legal Recovery and may be subject additional to legal fees.

What do I do if I am in financial difficulty?

If you find yourself in a position of financial difficulty, please contact our Credit Control team who will be happy to discuss a range of options with you. You can reach our Credit Control team on 0113 487 8890.

Service Charges